Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Chattanooga Good Time!

I just got back from a weekend with friends in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I absolutely love Chattanooga! It's one of the cleanest cities I've visited and has lots to offer. One of the things this city has is great food. I visited the BoatHouse Restaurant right on the Tennessee River for lunch during my stay. We all ate deck side enjoying the beautiful weather and the awesome smells coming from inside the kitchen. All your meats are cooked with wood giving my Beef Brisket with Au jou and horseradish sauce a savory mesquite flavor sided with olive fries and a homemade slaw. For an appetizer we also enjoyed some of the best calamari and fried onions I have ever tasted. I took some fabulous pics out by the waterfront as boats floated by with a beautiful golf course and stately mansions as my backdrop. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the temperature was perfect!

However, just because I was out of state, that was no excuse for missing the UK/Louisville game......off to the Chattanooga Billiards and Cigar Bar. There we took our seats to see Kentucky draw first blood with the first touchdown of the game just minutes after kickoff. My friends had a running bet.....Lige for Louisville and Chelsey for UK. Of course I had to side with Chelse on this one and we dogged Lige hard everytime UK made a play. It was all in the name of good fun, good cigars and ice cold beer though. What else could you want? Suddenly the owner (Phil) walks up to us and asked if we would rather watch the game in the exclusive Havana Room? It is members only folks! The computer on the door has to read your fingerprint to get in! How exclusive in that? And of course we graciously excepted his offer. Duh! who wouldn't? The room was beautifully decorated with large overstuffed leather chairs, couches and ottomans. Stained glass lamps sat atop wooded side tables. Bookshelves were covered with memorabilia and trophies and pictures of famous people adorn the walls. Signed autographed this and that... with piles of Cigar Aficionado magazines laying here and there. Sweet cigar smoke hung in the air as a little waitress wearing a football jersey ran in and out catering to our every whim.  I was impressed to say the least. I took my place on one of the fat leathery sofas and kicked my black Chuck Taylor's up on the coffee table like I lived there and listen to my sister Bev and Phil talk of days gone bye. I watched and giggled as I listen to Chelsey and Lige argue back and forth about the game. I even got to see my buddy Steve on TV (covering the sports for News Channel 27 back home) following Joker Phillips after the game. Kentucky won of course, so now it's off to dinner at the Chattanooga  Macaroni Grill for some wine and Chicken Marsala to celebrate. Whoohoo!

Ok, so when I wasn't eating and spending time with friends I did go on top of the Lookout Mountain to get some breath taking views and pics of the whole city of Chattanooga. Just a few of the attractions Chattanooga offers is the Incline Railroad, Ruby Falls and Rock City. Then there is always the Tennessee Aquarium and a scenic tour of the river offered by the Southern Belle River Boat. As far as down town and the arts scene goes.........Chattanooga’s arts scene is second to none. Take in one of the nation’s largest collections of American art.  Discover the many galleries and emerging artists at places such as  Bluff View, NorthShore and Southside districts. This is truly a treasure of a city and worth stopping in to take a look. And while your there, check out the City Cafe' for breakfast and don't forget to shop at the many outlets stores down Gun Barrel Road. Yep, that's really the name of the road. Go figure! So, next time you find yourself in Tennessee, stop bye some of these places and tell them Vanessa sent ya! Probably won't do you any good but it's worth a try! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment