Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Accomplishment

So, today I'm going through my filing cabinet and run across some stories I had written and some little journal entries. One of them was called My Accomplishment. I think I wrote this when the girls were maybe 3, 4 and 7 years old and I still feel the same way.

Yesterday was my birthday and here I sit depressed as another year has blown by me and I wonder what did I accomplish this past year that was all that amazing. Nothing that I can think of....then  I hear the kids playing outside. I don't think there's a sound sweeter that the giggling of three little girls so, I step out into the evening sun to see what all the hub bub is about. They don't even notice me standing on the deck watching them. They are too consumed in play. Jaylan is lying in the grass limp and lifeless pretending she's dead. Eyes shut as tight as she can get them, trying not to laugh while Brooke and Courtney stand over her crying. "Poor princess Jaylan has died!" "Now we must bury her beneath the magic tree," they shout. Then Brooke grabs Jay's arms and Courtney her legs and they drag her down the yard to our Mimosa tree.There they pull the pink blooms from the tree and sprinkle them over Jaylan's body and say a few inaudible words I can't hear for the distance. Suddenly, as if by magic, Jaylan rises from the grave and says, "I live!" "I live!" Then they dance in a circle, holding hands like little fairies and sing songs. I guess this means Jaylan has escaped the evil wrath of the Warlock Midnite (played by our dog) and lives to rule her kingdom for another day. Then I realized that the biggest accomplishment, I've ever made or ever will, is giving life to these incredible little girls who teach me everyday more about life than I will probably ever teach them. Thank God for little girls.....

No comments:

Post a Comment