Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cereal bowls, cell phones and 4W Drives.

I once told someone that I may not be a good person or friend or wife or daughter but I was one hell of a mom. Turns out I wasn't even that. I used to think that if you couldn't please everybody then what was the use in even trying. As so many other times in my life, I was wrong.

Pleasing my kids and basically spoiling them rotten was my excuse for not being there at all. You see I felt like I had to work all the time to give them the things they want and that made me a good mom. When in reality what they really need was my time. I figured this out when one day Brooke says, "Mom, I want some cereal." "Okay." I replied "Go fix you some." "Well, there aren't any clean bowls." she said and I'm thinking to myself....Are you freaking serious? "Then wash one." I told her. "I don't know how." was her response. Really, is this happening? My kid has no idea how to wash a bowl by hand let alone run a dishwasher which I did not have the luxury of having when I was growing up. And being the oldest, who do you think got to wash the dishes? Another example of this generation is the cell phone or should I say cellular device that does everything but wipe your butt for you. One day I ask Courtney to come get her clothes that I had just washed from the laundry room. She walks in with her cell phone in her hand. I go to hand her the laundry basket full of clothes and she looks at me like she's confused. She looks at this huge basket of clothes that I am holding and then back to her phone.......basket...phone...basket ....phone. "Oh for heavens sake!" "Put the damn phone down for 2 seconds and take these clothes please!!!" I scream. The fact that she was honestly in a pickle was the saddest part of it all. Once, there was a story on Good Morning America about a women who was almost into her ninth month of pregnancy when she was in a car accident. She was brain dead but they kept her alive a few more weeks until it the baby's lungs were more developed and it would be safe to deliver.  Courtney looks at me puzzled. "Mom, if the lady is brain dead, then how did she know when to push?" I just petted her on the head and told her that the doctor's did a c-section. "Oh, okay." "I understand now." she replied. I thought to myself, it's a good thing she's pretty. Maybe she'll get lucky and marry a doctor or lawyer cause she's never going to make it in the real world.

I, on the other hand, could probably tell you everything there is to know about a Jeep. My ex-husband built one from the frame and body tub up. It had Nascar seats with the 4 point harnesses. The steering wheel came off just like in Nascar. He had Bead Lock wheels on 44 inch tires, Dana 60's in the front and back, Detroit Lockers, twin shifters, on board welder, CO2 tank, Dual Optima batteries........arghh arghh arghh. (That's the sound Tim Allen used to make on the tv show TOOL TIME.) haha

I used to have old K-5 Blazer with 35 inch tires and a 8 inch lift kit. Actually we had two....his and hers. Cute, I know. Anyway, I can remember the time the FedEx guy got hung up in a ditch down at the end of our road. I happened to see him on my way to my ex-husbands grandparents house and stopped to see if he needed any help. At the time I was driving my Pap's stock F-150. Nothing special. I told the FedEx guy I could pull him out. He goes, "I don't think you can in that truck." "I wasn't going to use this truck." "Hold on and I will be right back." I said.  Five minutes later I come over the hill in one of the Blazers. I jump out with  toe strap in hand, hook it to the front of the delivery truck, lock in the hubs and away we go. Just one of many redneck facts about me....that and I can field dress a deer.

I believe girls should be able to change a tire, their oil and a diaper. My girls probably could not do any of the above. Well, maybe Jaylan but that's another story. Anyway, the fact is that this generation can't do anything for themselves and it's totally our faults. I mean it's nice to know how to download music off of  i Tunes or email pics to your friends but shouldn't they also know how to boil water and sew on a button? Yea, I think so. In fact, I think I will show them now. I let you know how it turns out.........

No comments:

Post a Comment